Notes on APARSEN MegaMeeting Thursday 13 September 2012

Attendees:

  • Simon Lambert
  • David Giaretta
  • Krystina Giaretta
  • Orit Edelstein
  • Barbara Bazzanella
  • Karlheinz Schmitt
  • Veronika Praendl-Zika
  • Kirnn Kaur
  • Rene van Horik
  • Jeffery van der Hoeven
  • Maurizio Lunghi
  • Andreas Hundsdorfer
  • Stefan Proell
  • Heiko Tjalsma
  • Holger Brocks
  • Herve L'Hours
  • Juha Lehtonen
  • Sharon McMeekin
  • Sabine Schrimpf
  • Daria Plankina
  • Yannis Tzitzikas
  • Hans Ulrich

Apologies

William Kilbride, Christoph Bruch, Silvio Salza

Management Update

Recent communications from EC

The EC advised that the D44.1, D44.2(i) & D46.1(i) have been accepted. We can now concentrate on the forthcoming deliverables.

Forthcoming General Assembly meeting

There is a virtual GA meeting on Monday 17 September and the agenda has been posted to the Wiki and some short supporting documents are being prepared, which will be circulated tomorrow. It is important it is a quorate so the decisions are valid. This meeting precedes the face to face meeting in November following the conference and the All Hands meeting in Frascati. It is hoped the revised DOW will be finalised at this meeting.

Reminder: deliverables due at end of September

The four deliverables that are due at the end of September are D14.1, D16.1, D22.2 and D26.1.

Status of DoW revision and Year 2+ Plan

The Year 2+ Plan has been placed on the Wiki to make it easier for everyone to make comments and this will form the basis for the revised DOW - the PMB will decide the precise mechanism for doing this.

ACTION: ALL - Everyone to look at the Year 2+ Plan and make any comments.

Stream 1 Integration

WP11 - SL said this was a key work package and, at the meeting in Frascati, there will be a strong focus on this. We have the report from the facilitated session in Brussels and the results of the WP's that have been producing deliverables, which will give us direction for the Common Vision as well as the work that was done for the previous deliverables 11.1 and 11.2. There are two aspects:

1. Common Vision of digital preservation

2. Virtual Centre of Excellence

There was a webinar yesterday focussed precisely on the subject of the VCoE. DG reported that the webinar was recorded and he will make this available. Hildelies Balk, through the CSA project, has asked DG to put in information about the various projects related to APARSEN as there are some interesting relationships between what other Centres of Competence are doing and what we are planning to do. DG will put this up on the Wiki later today. This webinar will be repeated on the 16 October for an external audience.

WP13 - Andreas advised that there is an interim version of the deliverable available on the Wiki. He asked about the milestone and the shape and form in which the information is needed to provide this milestone. DG confirmed that this is just a checkpoint to make sure we are proceeding in the right direction and to write this up as a brief report to show that we have considered it.

D14.1 and D16.1 - DG confirmed that he has set up pages on the public web site inviting external comments and soliciting evidence and included a rating system for the tools.

ACTION: DG asked everyone to provide information, on the external web site, on any systems and tools they know about.

There is a collection of software related to D14 and D16 as they are closely connected. D14.1 deliverable needs to be completed, which will be done when Ash Hunter returns.

WP15 - Rene reported that they had a virtual meeting on the VCoE and will organise an internal meeting about the iPRES panel on Trust. He asked the people involved in Sustainability to start thinking about the workshop at IDCC in January and to put something on the Wiki.

Stream 2 Technical research

ML has received an update from SL on WP21 and will send any questions about this directly to SL. ML emphasized the impirtance of developing a common and agreed Glossary for this stream.

WP26 - CB sent his apologies so cannot report on D26.1

WP25 - Yannis confirmed that this WP started in August and they will adopt the common terminology.

ACTION: Barbara B asked everyone to look at the tables on the Wiki under WP25 and complete the information requested. She sent out the request for information about interoperability and has not received many responses to date.

WP27 - Orit advised that they had a meeting at the end of August to set up the framework and she intends to start the work in October and will be asking for contributions from the other partners. She will also have a look at the glossary to see how they can contribute to it.

DG said that, at the Kick-off meeting, we would start with the OAIS glossary and then add to this. The glossary that has been produced could be confusing. DG said we should do as agreed at the kick-off meeting and start with OAIS and just expand on this by having a comment box rather than editing what is a very long file. ML agreed and asked DG to put a proposal forward for managing this.

ACTION: DG will put together a simple system for adding definitions to the glossary under the OAIS model and expanding this so that there is common terminology throughout the project, send this to ML and then out to the wider group.

Stream 3 Economic and legal research

WP32 - Kirnn advised that there will be communications sent out to everyone on this.

Stream 4 Sustainable uptake

WP41 - VP-Z advised that work is continuing on the events list. JL sent out an e-mail asking for all the partners to contribute to the events list on the Wiki and collect all the relevant conferences and meetings where APARSEN results are being presented.

ACTION: Please send any information on events to VP-Z and JL or place on the Wiki.

WP42 & WP43 - Holder Brocks advised that they are in the process of collecting information - still awaiting contributions from 3 partners. Please provide the relevant information so that he can finalise the results.

ACTION: ALL - Holger asked partners from non-English speaking countries to supply information on digital preservation training courses and university courses.

We need to make a clear distinction between short training courses (WP43) and longer term university courses/courses leading to a professional qualification (WP42). VP-Z suggested a separate call for these two WP's to discuss this further and clarify the differences.

WP43 - VP-Z confirmed that they are already planning training courses for 2013.

ACTION: ALL - Sharon asked for further information from everyone on training courses in order to get to the target of 40 as requested by the PO. She particularly wants to hear from Spain, Portugal and Eastern Europe.

WP44 - The newsletter has been circulated and there have been exchanges with other projects, such as SCAPE. The new web site is in progress and will be completed by the end of Sept/beginning October. KG circulated the new APARSEN brochure on Trust. This should be printed next week in time for the UNESCO and iPRES conferences.

DG gave a presentation at a euroCRIS meeting in Brussels this week on the APARSEN project.

Any other business

KG reminded everyone to register early for APA conference on the 6/7 November as there is limited capacity at ESA. The link for registration is: http://www.alliancepermanentaccess.org/index.php/2012/08/06/apa-2012-conference-6-7-nov/

-- KrystinaGiaretta - 2012-09-13

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2012-09-14 - SimonLambert
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback