Notes on APARSEN MegaMeeting Thursday 11th October 2012

Attendees:

  • Simon Lambert
  • David Giaretta
  • Orit Edelstein
  • Patricia Herterich
  • Veronika Praendl-Zika
  • Andreas Hundsdörfer
  • Holger Brocks
  • Maurizio Lunghi
  • Yannis Tzitzikas
  • Hervé L'Hours
  • Stefan Proell
  • Barbara Bazzanella
  • Juha Lehtonen
  • Krystina Giaretta
  • Chiara Cirinnà
  • René van Horik
  • Sabine Schrimpf
  • Gerald Jäschke
  • Jeffrey van der Hoeven
  • William Kilbride
  • Daria Plankina
  • Emanuele Bellini
  • Kirnn Kaur
  • Sharon McMeekin

Management update

Completion of first year reporting

The EC had three minor queries on the last version of the submitted cost statements. Responses have been sent, and it seems likely that soon we will be asked to sign the Form Cs which will then be sent to the EC to enable payment to be made. Simon will tell everyone when and how to sign the Form Cs.

Informal discussion with Project Officer last Monday

Simon met the Project Officer Manuela Speiser informally on Monday, along with David and later Juan Bicarregui (STFC), William Kilbride and Sharon McMeekin at a DPC event in London. The PO seems to have a positive attitude, without minimising the difficulties in a large network such as APARSEN. She is considering reconstituting the review panel, and would like suggestions from the consortium. She would like to keep Perla Innocenti for continuity, and is thinking of Cal Lee.

ACTION: All to suggest possible reviewers to Simon/the PMB.

The review meeting will take place in Luxembourg in the week of 4th-9th March.

All Hands Meeting and General Assembly meeting

Simon noted that not all partners have signed up for the AHM/GA meetings. It is very important that every partner should be present if at all possible.

ACTION: All to sign up for AHM and GA on respective wiki pages; Simon will chase those who are missing.

An outline agenda for the AHM has been placed on the wiki page. The idea is to have two parallel sessions focussing on Streams 1+4 and on sustainabiliuty (which is effectively Streams 2+3 at this stage of their life). Because of the restriction to a one-day meeting, very specific outcomes will be expected. Comments and suggestions for the meeting structure are welcome.

Stream 1 Integration

Regarding the creation of the VCoE, a webinar with external participants is being held on 16th October which will undoubtedly provide valuable input. All WPs should be prepared to summarise their contribution to the common vision, building on the baseline gathered in the first version of D11.1

Andreas Hundsdörfer reported that the WP13 deliverable is being integrated, incorporating geographical and engineering standards.

René van Horik reminded everyone to continue entering all meetings and presentations of APARSEN in the management website (also used for recording effort per month). David pointed out that large organisations should be conducting internal workshops with their data holders. Veronika noted that WP41 has a task to produce training material. There was a debate about the purpose and orientation of training within APARSEN; it was agreed to continue this discussion separately.

Deliverable D16.1 is the software repository, which exists as a part of the public website, though it allows only pointing to software rather than storage. Simon and David are producing the corresponding paper deliverable.

Stream 2 Technical research

WP21 on preservation services is assembling a list of services and investigating how to classify or tag them to allow mapping of the landscape, identification of gaps, etc.

WP25 on interoperability will hold its second meeting tomorrow. Input from ESA is expected around the middle or end of October.

Orit Edelstein reported that WP27 on scalability is starting activity and a meeting will be arranged soon.

Stream 3 Economic and legal research

For WP32, Kirnn Kaur said that, disappointingly, there had been no responses to the call for data on costs. Contingency planning is needed to take a different approach.

Stream 4 Spreading Excellence

WP41 held a meeting to plan for strategically important conferences for APARSEN in 2013-14.

A draft of the WP42 deliverable on formal qualifications has been circulated to the WP partners for comment.

Sharon McMeekin reported that redrafting of D43.1 is in progress, and the extra training courses across Europe are being analysed.

In WP44, work on the new website continues. A briefing paper for the web designers is almost ready. Veronika P-Z is working on a strategy to involve other projects in cooperation. There is a need for a more coherent stakeholder strategy.

A public webinar on 16th October has been organised, with a theme of Virtual Centres of Excellence. David intends to record this, though René reported problems playing the recordings of the previous webinars.

David has been active in international liaison (WP46), and mentioned a UNESCO meeting, RDA in Washington, and contacts in the Czech Republic and the Vatican.

Any other business

René reported that the panel at IPRES had been successful, with three APARSEN panellists and two externals. The brochure on trust was well received.

The APARSEN workshop proposal on Sustainabillity for IDCC (January 2013) is accepted.

Krystina Giaretta said that 2000 more copies of the brochure are being printed, as she rejected the first batch for reasons of colour matching to the proof. If you need more copies let her know.

-- SimonLambert - 2012-10-13

Topic revision: r1 - 2012-10-13 - SimonLambert
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback