Notes on APARSEN MegaMeeting Thursday 28 November 2013

Attendees:

  • Simon Lambert
  • David Giaretta
  • Krystina Giaretta
  • Stefan Hein
  • Juha Lehtonen
  • Silvio Salza
  • Orit Edelstein
  • Sabine Schrimpf
  • Stefan Pröll
  • Gerald Jäschke
  • Manuela Holzmayer
  • Holger Brocks
  • Barbara Bazzanella
  • Kirnn Kaur
  • Sharon McMeekin
  • Yannis Tzitzikas
  • René van Horik
  • Suenje Dallmeier-Tiessen
  • Maurizio Lunghi
  • Patricia Herterich
  • Maité Braud
  • Susan Reilly

Follow-up from previous meeting, review of actions and master schedule

Krystina reported that the sustainability brochure has been printed and will be delivered tomorrow. She will bring brochures some to Den Haag for the sustainability training event. There is an ongoing action on everyone to inform Krystina how many copies they would like.

Management update

Action on the payment for the second year is currently with the EC. Simon has asked to be informed as soon as the money is paid to STFC.

Simon reminded WP leaders to prepare their presentations for the AHM using the template available on the wiki page for the meeting. He now expects to nominate internal reviewers for the M36 deliverables during the meeting.

It is important to let Krystina know immediately if you wish to join the dinner on Tuesday night (3 December).

Assigned to Due date Description State Closed Notify  
TWikiUsers 2013-11-29 WP51 : inform Krystina Giaretta if you wish to attend the dinner during the AHM on 3 December 2013-12-11 SimonLambert   edit

Report on activities within streams, any issues arising

Stream 1 Integration

David will circulate drafts of D11.3 and D11.4 before the AHM. He has included some updates from partners to the common vision document. A version has already been sent to the APA Executive Board. Ruben is working on the business plan for D11.4. Any feedback from the APA and the AHM will feed into the final version of these deliverables. Of course work will continue after their submission.

Holger reported on a telephone meeting with PrestoCentre last Friday. They discussed the contents of the standards databases, and how to harmonise the two approaches. A formal cooperation agreement has been proposed and PrestoCentre will discuss it at their plenary meeting. David emphasized the need to have standards on the public website in January at the latest, before the soft launch of the VCoE and the review.

Stream 2 Technical research

Simon reported on the update of D21.1. He has some additional preservation services to include, but is not sure he will have a draft deliverable ready by next week. This deliverable does not require internal review.

Maurizio as Stream Leader explained the preparations for the session at the AHM. WP presentations are being prepared with the agreed template, with a focus on the future. Maurizio and Yannis argued for exploiting the AHM to check where we are, the major achievements (which helps to make a story for the review), and the next steps.

Stream 3 Economic and legal research

Sabine had arranged short presentations by Stefan Hein on D31.1 (digital rights management) and Juha Lehtonen on D35.1 (data policies and governance). Both outlined the work done in the WPs and the surveys that had been undertaken. There were questions about the general coverage and applicability of the results, given that only a few partners worked in each WP. This should be made clear in the final version of the deliverables.

In particular, David asked if the findings of WP31 were applicable to both commercial as well as the library communities. Holger said that they survey that was conducted did not just address the archive institutions, though most of the work involved the archive community. David asked if the DRM issues are the same for both the archive and commercial communities. Kirnn confirmed that the survey did cover other sectors but, in terms of the DRM, they do have applications that can be used across other sectors. The BL have carried out a survey in this area and will be making this available as part of deliverable.

Regarding WP35, Simon had a question about the range of organisations that responded to the survey. Juha advised that there were approximately 14 countries who responded. Most of the respondents were from universities, data archives, national libraries and research institutions. Most of the people who responded were data creators or data providers. Barbara asked if there were any relevant differences between the two sets of results. Kirnn brought together the survey results and the desktop results. They did the analysis by sector and will look at the two together and this will be finalised tomorrow. They did highlight differences between the two exercises.

Stream 4 Spreading excellence

Holger reported that WP42 will be represented at a DPC planning day in London tomorrow. Gerald is populating the online trainig portal with data from WP42 and WP43.

Sharon reported on a WP43 meeting last Tuesday. A number of successful events have been held this year; a priority for the coming months is the production of "training pills".

Simon reminded everyone of the webinar on 9 December on audit and certification of repositories, amd of the sustainability training event on 10-11 December.

Any other issues

Krystina reminded everyone of the possibility to join the APA members' meeting and dinner on Monday. Please let her know if you would like to do this. It is not necessary to be the official APA representative of your organisation - anyone from APARSEN can attend.

-- SimonLambert - 2013-11-29

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r3 - 2013-12-11 - SimonLambert
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback