WP21 meeting, 25th September 2012

Present:

  • Simon Lambert
  • David Giaretta
  • Ash Hunter
  • Juha Lehtonen
  • Jeffrey van der Hoeven
  • Kirnn Kaur
  • Barbara Bazzanella
  • Sabine Schrimpf
  • Stephan Strodl
  • René van Horik
  • Maurizio Lunghi

Simon summarised the status of the work package. After the kick-off meeting, details of a small number of services were added to the wiki page, and David set up a more elaborate template for representing both general types of service (which are almost like requirements for services) and specific instances. The focus now has to be on producing a high-quality deliverable for Month 24.

David recalled that it had been suggested to delete this WP at the meeting in June, because the SCIDIP project is dedicated to developing services, but it was felt that there were enough additional services to make it worthwhile to keep the WP. He drew a distinction between basic services and value-added services (also referred to as microservices and aggregated services).

The template for describing services that appears on the wiki page was agreed to be a good basis for further collection of services. It includes fields for next steps and final destination (based on the eIRG approach) and so is well adapted to contributing to the common vision.

ACTION: Simon to transfer the services from the sub-page ApanWP21PresServicesCollection to the more general template.

There was a discussion of the distinction between services and tools. For example, is PLATO a tool or a service? The essence of a service is that it can be shared. Europeana's federated search could be seen as a service relevant to accessing digital material.

It was agreed that all WP participants would have two more weeks to enter services into the template on the wiki page. Simon stressed that it would be better to have too much material than too little; it can always be rationalised and reduced later. Other projects such as SCAPE and EUDAT should be covered. If there seems to be no generic service type that corresponds to a proposed service, then add the service anyway in a new row.

ACTION: All to add information on services to wiki page.

Other partners might also have useful contributions to make. It was suggested that the WP participants could speak directly to identified partners to learn about their perspective. Ash Hunter mentioned contact with large pharmaceutical companies which might give rise to some requirements.

The other WPs on Stream 2 may well have input to make (for example on storage services or persistent identifiers).

ACTION: Simon to poll for date of next meeting, in about two weeks time.

-- SimonLambert - 2012-09-25

Topic revision: r1 - 2012-09-25 - SimonLambert
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback