The plan for Year 2 and beyond

4. Work packages

4.1 General remarks

The plan presented here covers not only the second year of the project‘s duration, which is already half way through, but extends into the third year. A description is given for each WP which includes where appropriate:

  • remarks on deviations from the original plan in the Description of Work
  • rationalisation of resources (within current budgets per partner).

The changes proposed here, per work package and particularly in effort allocated, will be consolidated into a new DoW in the 3rd quarter of 2012, which will also reflect the effects of partners having left.

The guiding principles for resource changes, which will be applied in the consolidation process, are presented in the following chapter, before individual WPs.



4.2 Resources changes for partners

The APARSEN partners have been asked to identify transfers of their person-months between WPs in order to more effectively focus on those areas of the project where they can deliver important results. As the intention is not (at this stage) to alter any partner's overall budget, this will entail removing effort from other WPs. Currently in the Description of Work, many partners have very small amounts of effort in numerous WPs. While this is good for networking, it does hinder effective deployment of resources. The review and checkpoint recommendations have given an opportunity and encouragement to explore reassignment of effort.

Three factors are being considered in these transfers:

  • partners' expertise, interests and ability to contribute to the "target" WP
  • the implications of the loss of effort from the "donor" WP, for example whether it can be made up by other partners
  • the need to balance concentration of effort against the benefits of networking
  • the use of year 1 under spends.

Almost all of these transfers have now been identified and agreed with the affected WP leaders. This will be completed in the next couple of months, and the process will be repeated during the remaining life of the project to ensure optimal assignment of resources.

This page should be used for indicating transfers of effort (person-months).



4.3 Year 2+ plan in detail for each WP

Stream 1 - Integration (WP11 - WP16)

WP11 Common vision – leader STFC

Deliverable D11.2 gives the consortium‘s initial plans for creating the Virtual Centre of Excellence (VCoE). Much of the work in this work package will be to expand on these plans as well as carrying out the initial steps of internal consultations as specified in D11.2. We will also be consulting with other networks and Competence Centres to ensure that we learn what works.

The steps we will take in year 2 and beyond are described in detail in section 3.2. An important point to reiterate is that we recognise the need to increase the buy-in from APARSEN partners by understanding their needs from a VCoE, and building the community feeling, for example stepping up the internal communications and holding open consultations about the make-up and potential membership of the VCoE.

In order to avoid any conflicts of interest the leadership of the work to define the VCoE will be handed over from APA to STFC, bearing in mind that the DoW was based on the aim of the APA evolving into the VCoE design, and we wish to ensure that that design starts from a blank sheet.

Page for amending DoW text



WP12 Staff and experience exchange – leader DPC

We propose that this work package is removed and the effort be consolidated into closely related work packages 41 (external workshops), 42 (Formal qualifications) and 43 (training). In each case the effort will be used to strengthen liaison with external initiatives and to ensure that relatively junior staff can participate in Spreading Excellence activities.

Page for amending DoW text



WP13 Coordination of common Standards – leader ICT

A checkpoint on the standardisation activities will be carried out in quarter 3 of year 2 to ensure that we are making satisfactory progress and do not miss out of new opportunities. In particular in year 2 we will investigate additional standards, projects etc., which have not been looked at in period 1 and also additional domains (such as publishing, open source and commercial solutions).

Reviewers‘ feedback will be incorporated into the structure of the interim version of D13.1 due February 2013.

With the results of the year two investigations it is intended in year 3 to generate decision trees which summarize the required standards for each domain in each step of the preservation process, to enable the user to find the needs or applicable standards and detailed standard descriptions to be compliant with the already established preservation standards or to gain know-how about communities or projects which are related to the requirement given by the users and collaborating APARSEN partners.

Standards of various kinds are of course important in all areas of work, and therefore this WP has interactions with the WPs in streams 2 and 3, both acting as a source of information to these WPs and also as a recipient of information about the way in which standards are being applied and are evolving.

As we move into the VCoE the results from this WP will underpin many of the pieces of advice, consultancy and training which will be provided. The maintenance of the quality of the information will move to the members of the VCoE after the end of this WP.

Page for amending DoW text


Main achievements Year 2 (bullet points):

  • Investigated additional standards and projects
  • Investigated additional domains
  • Investigated significantly in design and engineering domain
  • Developed a taxonomy featuring multiple schemes
  • Prepared second version of D13.1 (ongoing) due M26

Losses of Effort due to the leave of Philips, IKI-RAS and other shifts:

Effort shifts and drop outs on the APARSEN wiki indicate reductions planned by STM (1), DNB (1), MRL (2), PCL (2), FRD (4), LTU (2), IKI-RAS (6), which brings the initial total down from

  • 66PM to 48
I propose to transfer at least the 2PM from Philips to ICT and 2 ICT-PM from WP16 to WP13


WP14 Common testing environments – leader TESSELLA

The objective of the WP is to collect together a set of environments to test the efficacy of tools and techniques for digital preservation, against changes in hardware, software, environment and knowledgebase of the Designated Communities, and design new ones if necessary.

It is anticipated that the VCoE will provide advice and consultancy about what digital preservation tools work in particular circumstances and, especially in this area, the advice must be clearly evidence based, independent and unbiased. In order to achieve this, we have developed a transparent method for assessing and rating the capability of combinations of digital preservation services and tools to protect different types of digital content against typical known threats that have already been identified as contributing to the risk factors when preserving content of a similar nature.

The difficulties caused by differences in backgrounds, work practices and terminologies have been very apparent here and were instrumental in the setting up and developing of the Glossary mentioned previously.

The recommendations from the Year 1 review have led us to propose that we delay deliverable D14.1 to M26 in order to allow data holding partners time to provide their views, test data, scenarios and other evidence in order to improve the results of the WP.

Page for amending DoW text



WP15 Internal workshops, symposia and events – KNAW-DANS

Now that we have a substantial amount of research completed we have the basis for a number of workshops and discussions both to test out our conclusions and to spread the excellence we believe we have developed within our own organisations – in particular the large ones. So for example the people in STFC who are involved in APARSEN will hold talks within STFC to ensure that the new ideas are embedded in the organisation.

This WP will help to build the community, reaching into the parts of the larger organisations with which otherwise the VCoE would have only superficial links.

WP15 closely works together with the ―outreach‖ work packages, WP41, WP43, WP44 and WP45. The resources of WP15 will be used to align the outcomes of research on digital preservation issues within the APARSEN consortium. By organising internal events, mostly in the form of virtual meetings (using the Megameeting system), the outcomes of individual work packages are discussed and adjusted with the aims of the outreach WPs. After a consultation round the subject of the internal event is chosen. It is foreseen that about every 6 weeks an internal event will be organised. If relevant some parts of the virtual meeting will be recorded (in the form of a ―webinar‖) and made available as a digital recording that can be used for presentation purposes.

Page for amending DoW text



WP16 Common tools, software repository and market place – leader APA

An increasing number of tools will be identified and comments from users collected to help evaluate the usefulness (and limits to usefulness) for each tool. WP14 will help to guide users, though a decision tree, to the appropriate tool(s). Although providing a decision tree type wizard for users of the VCoE to interact with in order to understand the types of digital material that they may have, the threats from obsolescence that may be encountered by holding such material, resulting in the provision of information relating to ways to mitigate the risks relating to those objects, we have concluded that this type of activity should be taken up in the WP21 Preservation Services WP.

As envisaged, we will not create a new software repository, but will use SourceForge where needed, adding to the digital preservation services project, however we believe that for most tools we will hold pointers to other repositories. The pointers, descriptions, categorisations (based on the work in WP14) and annotations from project members and others, will be held on the public web site. After the end of the WP the repository will be carried forward first by WP21 (Preservation Services) and then by the general maintenance of the web site as part of the knowledge base of the VCoE.

Page for amending DoW text



Stream 2 - Technical Research (WP21 - WP27)

WP21 Preservation services – leader STFC

We will review what has happened since the DoW was written, although the PARSE.Insight roadmap still provides a valuable basis for thinking. Also we now know that a number of e-Infrastructure projects are underway; in particular SCIDIP-ES4 aims at putting production level services in place based on the CASPAR conceptual model which we know is consistent with the PARSE.Insight roadmap. However we know that EUDAT5 also aims at producing services to help preservation. The requirements from these and other projects will be critically evaluated, especially from the point of view of the memory institutions which are not well represented in the e-Infrastructure projects. A registry and comparison of such services will be created in this WP and maintained in WP11 for use in the VCoE. As part of the collaboration with SCIDIPES, EUDAT and SCAPE, APARSEN will be able to use those services to test ideas and identify limitations and possible extensions. SCIDIP-ES and EUDAT will create long-lived e-Infrastructure services and the collaboration with these projects will form an important part of the advice offered by the VCoE.

The withdrawal of a total of 5 PM from MRL and PCL will be compensated by the (unfunded) inputs from these projects.

Page for amending DoW text



WP22 Identifiers and citability – leader FRD

Following up the work done in WP22 during the first year, the plan for the Year 2 is to start implementation of a demonstrator of the Interoperability Framework (IF) for PI systems. The plan can be divided in three steps.

i. Validation – Validation of the model through a user group with experts on PI; duration of the validation a couple of months; number of experts around 40; on-line working modalities and tools.
ii. Demonstrator – Definition and set up of a demonstrator with selected resources from the APARSEN community, it‘s important to have data from different PI domains and for objects, people and bodies; definition of the publication modality and tools development in support of publication of data; population of the demonstrator with data; before end Nov 2012.
iii. Services – Proposal of few services and development on a cross PI Domains (PIDs) basis using all the data available in the demonstrator; some basic services implemented before Jan 2013.

Some 'common policies' across many WPs are envisaged, like the use, development and promotion of the Glossary common to all the WPs in order to reinforce coordination among WPs, to increase the quality of the project publications and to outreach other user communities. Another relevant 'common policy' will take care of the long term preservation of the project publications with some repositories identification, WP22 will contribute as convenient to the PI policy definition. Furthermore, WP22 will reinforce the cooperation with other WPs of the stream, in particular with WP25 for its specific competence about 'interoperability‘. WP25 will benefit from the IF implementation to build and test a set of interoperability services.

The 2 PM planned to be contributed by Philips will be compensated by consolidation of effort by other partners. Moreover, to enable the demonstrator set up, FRD proposes to move 4PM from WP13 into this WP. Also CERN will move resources from other WPs and its year 1 underspend to this WP in order to support the demonstrator development.

An important part of the embedding this work as part of the VCoE will be to create collaborations with DOI foundation and DataCite, Handle community, NBN national centres, PersID project, EPIC and KE consortia. Promising cooperation is under development with the PI systems for people and authors like ORCID and ISNI and VIAF in order to enrich the scenario of persistent identification in the digital world.

Page for amending DoW text



WP23 Storage solutions – leader ESA

Working closely with WP21, this WP will investigate storage solutions comparing partners‘ needs with current tools and techniques. The work will benefit from outputs of several other projects which are also considering this area. These include SCIDIP-ES, EUDAT, ENSURE and EGI.

The advantage that APARSEN has is that it does have a very broad set of stakeholders and can open discussions up to compare and contrast requirements and recommendations from individual organisations. This broad base of stakeholders will provide a solid basis for advice to be provided as the VCoE consultancy.

Overall, WP23‘s objective is to identify and compare the needs from WP partners in terms of digital objects preservation, and their available and currently used storage approaches and technical solutions. Wherever feasible, the activity will identify the conditions under which external storage services would be used by partners, and will furthermore compare different external storage services and their fitness to preserve digital objects in terms of cost, legal, policy and business needs – with obvious interactions with WP 32 and WP36. This WP activity is split into two tasks, Task 2310 Storage solutions (running), and Task 2320 Evaluation and recommendation for storage solutions (to start). D23.1 Storage solutions report - due at the beginning of Year 3 – will summarise this analysis.

Page for amending DoW text



WP24 Authenticity and provenance – leader CINI

WP24 activities ended early in year 2 and the corresponding deliverables D24.1, D24.2 and the internal deliverable ID24.1 have already been released. As a follow-up to WP24 we are committed to continue working on training and dissemination activities through cooperation with WP41 and WP43. The main results of WP24 have already been presented in International conferences and additional papers have been submitted to further conferences, like the iPRES 2012 in Toronto. Moreover WP24 has contributed to the APARSEN webinar on Trust that has been successfully held on 11 July 2012.

Page for amending DoW text


The results of the WP24 have been also presented at the Rome Conference (November 7th, 2012) and have been identified as a service to provide within WP 21. The outputs are going to be transformed into materials for education and training also in cooperation with other projects, like SCIDIP-ES according to common initiatives under development.

-- MariellaGuercio - 2012-12-15


WP25 Interoperability and intelligibility – leader FORTH

This WP will have relationships with various completed, or ongoing WPs, specifically with:

  • WP11 (Common vision).
  • WP13 (Coordination of common Standards).
  • WP16 (Common tools),
  • WP26 (Annotation, reputation and Data Quality),
  • WP21 (Preservation Services)
  • WP22 (Identifiers and Citability),
  • WP24 (Authenticity and Provenance),
  • WP27 (Scalability).

Considerable work on intelligibility has been done already, especially in CASPAR, on Representation Information, and some basic work on tools to create Representation Information is being done in SCIDIPES. Dependency management for preservation has started in CASPAR and is being continued in SCIDIP-ES. However, only in APARSEN and specifically in this WP (T2520) we will try to enrich this approach with migration and emulation-aware dependency management for digital preservation.

Although the WP starts in August 2012, FORTH has started the research specified at T2520, and a paper reporting the current results has been submitted to iPres2012. Furthermore the kick off meeting and a first assignment of tasks and responsibilities amongst the partners that participate in WP25 took place on July 13, 2012. First contacts with the WP22 have already been established to cooperate on the interoperability services definition for the demonstrator set up.

As regards external cooperation, we will have an active communication channel with SCIDIP-ES as well as with KEEPS (for the needs of T2520). Furthermore, the dataset that will be created for the dependency management services will be made accessible as LOD (Linked Open Data) and a SPARQL endpoint will be provided.

This WP is expected to contribute to the forthcoming VCoE: interoperability objectives and guidelines agreed by experts and stakeholders from the participating communities, novel methodology for capturing, modelling, managing and exploiting various interoperability dependencies (to be verified by prototype datasets and services).

Proposed changes to the WP may be summarised as follows:

  • STFC will be replaced as the lead on D25.1 by UNITN.
  • PCL (2 PM) and MRL (3 PM) are no longer available. To compensate for this effort some consolidation of efforts for UNITN, FORTH and CINI will allow us to add to this WP. The details of this change are still to be finalised.

Page for amending DoW text



WP26 Annotation, reputation and data quality – leader AFPUM

(This work package has already ended.)


WP27 Scalability – leader IBM

This also starts in August 2012. Besides relationships to WP21 and WP23, the SCIDIP-ES, SCAPE and ENSURE projects are considering scalability and it will be important to create and maintain links with them. The initial work will consist of obtaining answers from existing surveys and our own questionnaires about scalability needs for long term digital preservation. Questions will include: What are the types of data in your institute? What is the importance/value of each type of data? For how long it needs to be preserved? What is the total capability (in TB) for each type today? In 5 years? In 10 years? For each type - what is the number of digital objects and size of each object (e.g. video objects or small documents)? In 5 years? In 10 years? Are objects expected to be available at any time from anywhere?

In addition, information will be collected about scalability of existing technology such as Tessella SDB, cloud storage, iRODS, NARA ERA, DuraSpace, etc., as well as in-house systems used in APARSEN partners.

The collected answers will identify gaps and will set the initial requirements that will help form the recommendations, which will brought together in year 3. The recommendations report will be used by the VCoE to direct activities towards covering identified gaps and requirements.

The loss of 2 PM from PCL will be compensated by the other partners consolidating their efforts. IBM can use their industrial contacts to obtain the information PCL would have provided.

The basic information, roadmap and gap analysis produced by this WP will be an important resource for the VCoE in training, consultancy and referrals.

Page for amending DoW text



Stream 3 - Economic and Legal Research (WP31 - WP36)

WP31 Digital rights and access management

This WP is planned to start in M27, but we report it here because this year 2 plan extends into year 3. The loss of effort from PCL (2PM) and MRL (2PM) out of a total of 11 PM make planning this WP difficult until we identify replacement industrial partners, therefore we will provide a detailed plan in the new DoW and the period 2 report.

Page for amending DoW text


The work package is affected by withdrawals of Philips (2 PM), MRL (2 PM) and CERN (3 PM). The total loss of 7 PM will be compensated by reducing the work package scope, recruiting new partners and increase the DNB efforts by 2 PM in order to take over the work package lead. ÖNB, BL and STM have signalized their interest. The negotiations with these potential partners about their amount of efforts and their participation are still in progress. With DNB and KB as remaining library partners and ÖNB and BL as potential new partners, the work package would focus more on DRM use in libraries and publishing industry and consider less the commercial sector represented by Philips and MRL. DRM in big data science would still be represented by the remaining partner STFC. Especially with STM we hope to get valuable input from publishers in the scientific domain. Furthermore the work package will make use of the opportunity to get input from the APARSEN consortium for example by doing a cost-neutral survey.

-- SabineSchrimpf - 2012-11-23

-- EefkeSmit - 2012-11-28

STM would be interested in adding 1 pm or 2 pm to this WP to contribute the publishers view on DRM for digital preservation archives. Hopefully this extra effort can be drawn from Philips or MRL or CERN withdrawals.

-- EefkeSmit - 2012-11-28

Future planning for WP 31

  • Q1 2013: Prepare and complete administrative work by March 2013
  • Q2 2013: Review of DRM use and preservation (working on Task 3110 (DOW))
  • Q3 2013: Classification, work out best practices (working on Task 3120 (DOW))
  • Q4 2013: Working on the deliverable D31.1
  • Q1 2014: Finalisation of the deliverable (official end: February 2014)

-- StefanHein - 2012-12-07


WP32 Cost/benefit data collection and modelling – leader BL

As part of the re-focussing of the work in APARSEN we propose to focus on the evaluation, testing, validation and standardisation of cost models for the preservation of digital objects. The benefits in the title of this WP will fit better with WP36 (Business cases).

This re-focussing comes about following an analysis of published cost models where it was found that some models have not been tested and are still in the developmental phase. With input from APARSEN further evaluation, testing and validation can be undertaken which will allow for these models to be published and to become more readily available for use. This will enable the dissemination of these models to a wider audience than they are in their current form.

This is an active area in many organisations. Once again we will take advantage of our ability to bring together many different views on cost models and to collect (perhaps confidential) cost related data. This will allow us to test published models and improve on them.

Cost model evaluations will be provided on the VCoE with information on which models would suit a particular type of organisation or activity or project.

MRL are no longer available to provide their 1PM. However we propose to transfer 3 PM for the British Library from WP35 into this WP as part of the consolidation needed, and STFC will transfer from WP25.

Page for amending DoW text



WP33 Peer review and 3rd party certification of repositories – leader AFPUM

Deliverable D33.1B will be revised to respond to the reviewers‘ comments and questions, in particular clarifying the legal position of such certification in France and Italy. However as noted elsewhere the request for a comprehensive and impartial state of the art analysis to be added to the final version is outside the scope of this WP, the outline of which was specified by the Unit as part of the European Framework.

The results of this WP will be discussed in workshops associated with conferences.

Page for amending DoW text



WP34 Brokerage services – leader APA

We propose to delete this WP because we now know that SCIDIP-ES will be providing a sophisticated brokerage service which we cannot effectively supplement given the thin spread of effort. Any non-technical observations about such services, e.g. on the cost of handover of data, will need to be addressed by the other work packages, as appropriate to the goals of the VCoE. We therefore propose to redistribute its remaining 9 PM (PCL had 1 PM in this WP) to other WPs, for example DPC will move its 1PM to training (WP43). The deliverable D34.1 and D34.2 will in consequence be removed, however, some elements may need to be picked up by WP32 and 36 depending on available resources.

Page for amending DoW text



WP35 Data policies and governance – leader CSC

WP35 will not start until March 2013 (M27) with an objective for implementing the data access policy management mechanisms. As a part of the access topic, the WP will work in a close collaboration with WP22. Further, a close cooperation with WPs working on policy and governance issues e.g., WP32 (Cost data collection and modeling) and WP36 (Business cases) will be necessary. This WP is important for the VCoE stakeholders, bodies and individuals which are responsible and implementing governance and data policies, which may not be involved in the VCoE otherwise. This WP also has connections to the ODE project, in which many APARSEN partners are also involved. The final results of the ODE project will available by the end of year 2012, and after which we can make more detailed work plan for WP35.

Page for amending DoW text



WP36 Business cases – leader UPAT

Business cases have a clear relationship to costs and benefits (WP32) and underpin the question ―who pays for preservation‖. As described in the DoW information will be collected about the justification which organisations currently use to justify the use of resources to preserve their digital holdings. APARSEN again can exploit its members, many of whom are major data holders, as well as the stakeholders with whom we are developing contacts. Although related to costs, we believe that stakeholders outside the consortium will be more likely to share their reasons for preserving than to disclose their costs.

Using a survey methodology, UPAT will survey key stakeholders with an interest in digital preservation in institutions in all countries across Europe. The objective is to ascertain the readiness of European countries to undertake economically-sustainable digital preservation across Europe. The National and International agencies category of stakeholders identified by the Blue Ribbon report will also be contacted.

The loss of 1 PM each from MRL and PCL means a loss of particular industrial points of view from this WP. To compensate for this we propose to increase the UPAT effort by 2 PM in order to allow adequate connections to be made with outside industrial organisations. In order to give us time to make these connections we propose to move D36.1 from M18 to M24, and D36.2 from M26 to M30.

WP36 results will play an important role in building up VCoE consultancy services for organisations interested in adopting and implementing digital preservations activities, in terms of providing practical guidelines for specific business cases.

Page for amending DoW text



Stream 4 - Spreading Excellence (WP41 –WP46)

WP41 External Workshops, symposia and events – leader LTU

In Year 2 the results from the Trust group of WPs will form a major part of the APA Conference. In addition papers and workshops will be proposed in conferences such as iPRES in Toronto in October and the ―Cultural heritage on line‖ in Florence on 13 Dec. 2012.

This WP must work together with WP15 and WP42-46, and will actively seek cooperation with other DP projects and organizations to co-organize events.

The scope of the WP 41 workshops and symposia is to inform stakeholders outside the consortium about Digital Preservation issues and the research results achieved during the APARSEN efforts. As part of these activities, a network of ―Digital Preservation Influencers‖ will be initiated. The influencers will ―spread the word‖ both in academia and in industry. Regarding "proactive project dissemination", we will disseminate results from the project and plan to arrange by ourselves as well as co-arranging workshops with other organizations/projects to discuss results/topics/issues that we have in common, striving towards defragmentation and coherence within the digital preservation community - as well as building up a network of stakeholders as part of the VCoE vision.

One proposed change to the plans for this WP is a re-allocation of 15 kEuro for travelling related cost for invited (internal/external) speakers at events, which would significantly improve the ability to attract high-quality speakers.

Page for amending DoW text


Future planning for WP41 * Add a further strategic outlook to the planning of events * Look to co-organize events with other DP inititatives and projects * Continue to plan/facilitate/organize events together with APARSEN partners

-- JohnLindstrom - 2012-11-28

Regarding the withdrawal of IKI-RAS - WP41 proposes to remove all activities planned for IKI-RAS from the DoW. These activities concerned building up and maintaining a network of stakeholders.

-- JohnLindstrom - 2012-11-28


WP42 Formal qualifications – leader FTK

The main objectives of WP42 for Y2 are to provide an overview of existing initiatives and curricula. This overview will encompass an assessment of the available teaching material external to APARSEN. In alignment with WP43 a supporting IT infrastructure will be set up comprising modules for e-Learning and CMS functionalities. We propose to move D43.2 to WP42 (re-numbered to D42.3) for better alignment with the e-Learning platform.

Targeting academia, curricula for Information Science and Computer Science will be defined, including outlines of the constituting course contents. The developed curricula will be discussed and calibrated with external stakeholders from academia, possibly within a focussed workshop on teaching DP at graduate/postgraduate levels. Engagement with external stakeholders in Continuing Professional Education will be conducted in alignment with WP43.

There will be active discussions with the APARSEN RTD work packages about potential contributions to course material, both, for academia and continuing professional education.

Overall, formal qualifications will be tailored and calibrated according to the priorities set out by the APARSEN VCoE.

Page for amending DoW text


UPAT requested to transfer 1PM, with 2PM remaining in WP42. The withdrawal of PCL further reduces the overall WP42 by 1PM. As PCL acted as stakeholder/multiplicator for formal qualifications in the domain of industrial design and engineering. It has to be assessed, whether additional resources for addressing alternative stakeholder groups beyond the library and information science community are needed.

-- HolgerBrocks - 2012-11-30


WP43 Training courses – leader DPC

The effort distribution will be consolidated to streamline tasks and allow more efficient distribution of effort. This will simply be a structural change and no activities or outputs removed. Deliverable D43.2 (Release of Training Materials CMS) will be moved to WP42 where effort to complete this activity resides. It is proposed that a deliverable will be added entitled ―Report on Training Activities‖ which will provide an appraisal of the activities undertaken and provide a plan for the development of training provision within the VCoE. This deliverable will be due in M46 and an interim version will be made available in M36. The training materials and events will also be presented as interim deliverables. In addition, a detailed series of proposals with respect to WP43, and in particular D43.1, have been presented in the commentary about this deliverable. These proposals are subject to approval by the Commission so are not presented here. Note also that a verbal feedback of the year one review included a specific recommendation that no training events should be delivered in Year Two.

WP43 will work closely with WP15 and WP41 to share materials and to ensure the APARSEN events calendar makes the most efficient use of resources available and reaches the widest audiences possible. There will also be close coordination with WP42 to ensure that training developed compliments and/or fits within the education and professional development frameworks, as well as tailoring online content for delivery through the online portal to be developed by GLOBIT within WP42. WP43 will also coordinate with WPs in the Research streams to ensure that training developed effectively communicates APARSEN results and how these can be used in practice. The WP will also look for opportunities to cooperate with other EC-funded projects such as SCAPE, TIMBUS and SCIDIP-ES on the delivery of training. This will be of particular importance to the Advanced Practitioner course where speakers from external projects will be invited to present to ensure that the course content reflects the current state of the art. The WP remains in close contact with a range of related initiatives including the EC-funded DigCurV project and the US-based DPOE project. The WP is able to exploit existing DPC partnerships to maintain relationships with the ULCC-based Digital Preservation Training Programme and the King‘s College London Digital Futures Academy, the Archives and Records Association and the British Library Preservation Advisory Centre as well as links through other WP43 participants to national organisations such as the NCDD and nestor. The WP also seeks and maintains and good relationships to inform a range of academic initiatives such as ICE and IDEA, though these are more properly aligned with WP42.

WP43 will produce training materials that will provide the foundation for one of the key services to be offered by the VCoE through the Web. A plan for their continued expansion and improvement beyond the lifetime of the APARSEN project will be included in the new deliverable to be added to WP43. As well as providing online delivery of training materials, the WP will also establish a week-long 'Advanced Practitioner‘ training course that will be offered a number of times by APARSEN and will aim to be self-sustaining by the end of the project and another key component of the VCoE‘s training provision.

Although the DoW for WP43 will be redrafted this will not produce any major deviations from the outcomes promised but rather clarify and streamline what is already there. The change to D43.2 (the move of the development of the CMS to WP42 and the addition of a new report as a deliverable) will be the only substantial change. As noted above, the team has made specific proposals with respect of D43.1 and it seeks the approval of the Commission to implement these.

Rationalisation of resources (within current budgets per partner): DPC to move 3PM from WP33 and 1PM from WP34. Subject to the approval of a proposal to delete WP12, the WP leader would like to request the movement of effort from WP12 for existing WP43 partners (DANS – 2PM, FORTH – 1PM, BL – 1PM, KB – 1PM) and from the remaining effort in WP12 the addition of new partners (AFPUM – 2PMs, UNITN – 2PMs, APA – 1PM).

Future resource needs: Although not required in the current year, the WP would like to discuss the allocation of the costs of staging training events as participants in the WP would not currently be able to meet direct costs such as room hire and catering. This could be met by turning an effort allocation in WP15 or WP41 into a cash allocation to meet eligible direct costs. WP43 plans to offer up to six events that are one-day long (estimate of cost per day = 2000€, based on current London rates for room hire and catering for an event hosting c.40 attendees) and three courses that are five days long (estimate per course = 20000€, based on a daily delegate rate of 150€ covering 25 attendees for 5 days) coming to a total of 72000€. It is expected that some of this cost can be recovered by charging delegates and other costs can be deferred via free or subsidised access to venues: but some funds will be required to make up any shortfall and to subsidise trial runs.

Page for amending DoW text



WP44 External communications and awareness raising – leader ONB

Will continue working on formulating newsworthy stories from APARSEN deliverables to be adapted to and communicated over the several communication channels as website, social media (SM), newsletter etc. Refinement of the project profiles configuration on different social media will be constantly undertaken. Links with SM profiles of other projects on digital preservation will be integrated. Continuous updates of the APARSEN Interactive Map (IM) will be undertaken as well as software development for Interactive Map enhancements. The coordination of a central stakeholder database will be initiated underlying the APARSEN Interactive Map with WP45 stakeholders and other networks identified in the various WPs in APARSEN. In task 4420 we will contact first associate partners and initiate assessment and evaluation of their data in terms of digital long-term preservation. Relating to this a mechanism for newsletter subscription management will be installed. In close collaboration with WP45, WP44 will initiate contacts with other European projects for alignment of activities e.g. exchange of news and activities and making them public in the newsletters and on the websites of those projects and vice versa; Project internal communication will be promoted to identify upcoming news and findings from the project.

A brochure will be issued in June as well as the first APARSEN newsletter. Additionally a more specific scientific brochure for dedicated stakeholders will be developed and produced. This will follow a concept of a dynamic brochure being updated continuously with the latest outcomes. A general APARSEN presentation will be provided to all partners in the project and regularly updated. Continuous consultancy will be provided for the APARSEN Website structure and improved design (WP52).

Continuous announcements of APARSEN events will be an ongoing task throughout the project. Collaboration with WP15 on organising internal events will be maintained to improve project internal communication, discussions and exchange and thereby ending up in convincing communication to the public. WP44 will support WP41 to organise those public discussion and exchange about results. Dissemination activities around MS3 – Checkpoint on standardisation activities and MS4 – Interaction of topic Sustainability (announcements of WSs, webinars, presentations etc.) and on the various aspects of Trust and Sustainability will be organised.

The communication plan will be regularly updated and an annual dissemination report will be provided.

Dependency on WP14. WP14 provides APARSEN with an approved, almost independent way of evaluating Digital Preservation plans and actions, on the various systems that can be provided now, or later on as technology matures and new options become available.

Task 4420 will make contact with industrial organisations, and establish an understanding of the types of difficulties that they may be facing, in order to build up valuable use / test cases that can then be used to formulate wider discussions within the established domain. This is where APARSEN WP14 & WP21 come in, as Task 4420 takes the content and preservation scenarios provided by the Associate Partners, and put this into the Tessella Preservica test instance. Thus, real world examples of Preservation Actions can be used by APARSEN to help formulate preservation strategies for future enquiries to the VCoE etc. The delay in the WP14 deliverable will not impact these plans since they extend into year 4.

High dependency of WP44 on WP52 mainly given by the fact that T5220 is responsible for set up and maintenance of the project website. The website is the central channel of communication and provides all the necessary information about the project and its outcome as well as to prepare the path to become the platform for the VCoE.

It implements:

  • A new user-friendly and DP topic oriented approach – done
  • Provide all information and results of the project – ongoing
  • A new user-friendly design preparing for the transition to the VCoE – September 2012
  • A newsletter subscription management tool – September 2012
  • Integration of social media – done
  • Integration of the Interactive Map – done
  • Set up of an APARSEN stakeholder database

This dependency is mitigated by close collaboration of WP44 partners and alignment of communication activities with WP52.

Close cooperation with all WPs in Stream 4 (WP41 –WP46)

Communication with all streams and their WPs for spreading outcomes of APARSEN most widely.

Page for amending DoW text



WP45 Liaison with other stakeholders – leader STM

Deliverable 45.1 has now been integrated and merged into D44.1. Furthermore: D45.2 will focus on defragmentation opportunities among stakeholders instead of standardisation.

There will continue to be close cooperation with all work packages in stream 4, especially WP44 and WP46 and WP15, where possible also with WP41. The first webinar has been held with good cooperation with these WP‘s and two more are planned for 2012.

Liaison with other stakeholders is aimed to establish the right direction of the VCoE and to make its set-up and activities attractive for close cooperation and partnerships with others inside and outside the DP community, within the EU and beyond. In that way it can grow into a well-recognised and highly esteemed focal knowledge centre for all those in need of DP. Mapping defragmentation opportunities is at the core of the objectives of the VCoE.

Deviations from the original plan in the Description of Work: started later due to dependencies with D44.1 and deliverables in the Trust stream. Now well on steam, with the first webinar successfully held in July and two that followed in September and October of 2012.

Highlights of Period 2: 3 webinars were held, in July, September and October of 2012 on the first deliverables of Trust and for the discussion on common vision and VCoE. In addition successful reach-out to a list of other DP initiatives was achieved. See Yr 2 report.

Plans for Yr3: 4 more webinars, further intensifying of connections with toher initiatives in DP.

Connections with several other DP initiatives have been made and common communication activities were agreed (see Yr 2 report). From these other intiatives we have considerable interest from at least 4 who are interested in setting up common webinars and workshops.

Rationalisation of resources (within current budgets per partner): 2PM of STM (from other WPs, in WP24, WP25 and WP35) moved to WP45 to ensure more efficient use of resources. IKI-RAS efforts will be dropped.

Page for amending DoW text


-- EefkeSmit - 2012-11-01


WP46 International liaison – leader STFC

The list of contacts has been built up in the first year, initially with considerable overlap with D45.1, with the distinction that WP46 has a focus outside Europe. For the most part the actual contacts have been made outside this WP. In the second year the results of APARSEN are available to form the basis of informative discussions and, within the limited effort available in the WP, we will expand APARSEN‘s international contacts outside Europe.

Page for amending DoW text


WP 46 could be combined more with WP45, under the condition that it drops the required deliverable of annual reporting. These will blend into the annual reporting under WP44 and WP45.

-- EefkeSmit - 2012-11-28


WP51 Administrative coordination – leader STFC

As noted throughout this Y2+ plan the management will be strengthened by additional effort from STFC and fuller implementation of the management structures described in the DoW, including the Project Management Board and General Assembly and more active involvement of the WP leaders in order to provide greater impetus to the project. The risk register will continue to be reviewed and updated as will Quality Assurance processes. In addition other contractual documents including this one will be provided as defined in the contract.

Page for amending DoW text



WP52 Technical coordination – leader APA

This WP will continue work in the consortium management as described in the DoW, including project meetings (both virtual and face to face) and the internal information portal. The public web site is also maintained within this WP; the development of the site is carried out in close collaboration with WP44.

Identifying new partners, in particular replacing the industrial partners, will be carried out in this WP, with the final decision taken by the General Assembly.

Page for amending DoW text



combined year 2 plus proposals

-- SimonLambert - 2012-09-05

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r20 < r19 < r18 < r17 < r16 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r20 - 2012-12-24 - AshHunter
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback